Retained List To Be Confirmed At 12:00 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Retained List To Be Confirmed At 12:00

As a general comment on the retained list, should we really be worried who stays and who goes? Over the past few seasons we must be one of the best, or maybe the best run and organised club of the 72 teams below the Premier League, and I have every faith that who comes in to replace anyone who goes will be just as good (if not better) than the departing player. The days of the Grant Brown loyalty are long gone, players go where the best offer takes them, and good luck to them, that's life.
And a personal comment on a couple of the rumours circulating on here. I know people have very different opinions on players, but with Danny, wasn't it Mark Kennedy who said he wasn't sure if in a few years he be playing in the Championship or back in Ireland? Absolutely spot on, and I know where my tenner would be if I was a betting man. Sorry, but after a really bright start he has contributed little. I'm not sure why his 'work rate and tracking back' gets praise, Ruskingtony, because I don't see that from my seat in the stand. And Roughan is far too inconsistent for me, and he can whinge with the best of them, a pain in the backside to be honest. If we can get some money for both of them, that's good business for sure.
From the top down I feel that everyone has the best interests of the club at heart, it's thriving at the moment, who wouldn't have taken a 7th place finish at the start of the season, and the recruitment process is in safe hands. Personally, I can't wait to see what's in store for next season. UTI

As a general comment on the retained list, should we really be worried who stays and who goes? Over the past few seasons we must be one of the best, or maybe the best run and organised club of the 72 teams below the Premier League, and I have every faith that who comes in to replace anyone who goes will be just as good (if not better) than the departing player. The days of the Grant Brown loyalty are long gone, players go where the best offer takes them, and good luck to them, that's life.
And a personal comment on a couple of the rumours circulating on here. I know people have very different opinions on players, but with Danny, wasn't it Mark Kennedy who said he wasn't sure if in a few years he be playing in the Championship or back in Ireland? Absolutely spot on, and I know where my tenner would be if I was a betting man. Sorry, but after a really bright start he has contributed little. I'm not sure why his 'work rate and tracking back' gets praise, Ruskingtony, because I don't see that from my seat in the stand. And Roughan is far too inconsistent for me, and he can whinge with the best of them, a pain in the backside to be honest. If we can get some money for both of them, that's good business for sure.
From the top down I feel that everyone has the best interests of the club at heart, it's thriving at the moment, who wouldn't have taken a 7th place finish at the start of the season, and the recruitment process is in safe hands. Personally, I can't wait to see what's in store for next season. UTI
I'd suggest he gets praised for "work rate and tracking back" when he actually does it, in the hope that it encourages him to continue doing so.

I find it's still hard to judge Mandroiu, with the exception of a couple of games this year we've either had no forwards making good runs and space for him to use or we've no proper midfield so is having to do a less creative job he's not really suited to. You can read that two ways, either he's not flexible to be enough use or get a good side around him and he'll turn it into a very good side, personally not sure either way.

If we are going to improve next season, then we have to improve the squad. Not just add to it.

We have only really released one player (TJ) from our main squad - so assuming we don't get any bids that we can't turn down - we need another three or so players to leave to bring in better players.

I would not be disappointed if Bishop and Mandroiu are two of those three. We have to bring in better and more consistent performers.

We also still badly need a left wing back, a replacement forward for Taylor, and another centre back with the loss of TJ and Mitchell. Although we may well use the loan market again of course (or splash out on Mitchell?)

To me, it looks like three permanents out with three better permanents in, assuming there are no player sales. Then any gaps to be filled by quality loans.

If we are going to improve next season, then we have to improve the squad. Not just add to it.

We have only really released one player (TJ) from our main squad - so assuming we don't get any bids that we can't turn down - we need another three or so players to leave to bring in better players.

I would not be disappointed if Bishop and Mandroiu are two of those three. We have to bring in better and more consistent performers.

We also still badly need a left wing back, a replacement forward for Taylor, and another centre back with the loss of TJ and Mitchell. Although we may well use the loan market again of course (or splash out on Mitchell?)

To me, it looks like three permanents out with three better permanents in, assuming there are no player sales. Then any gaps to be filled by quality loans.
I always think that you should trim off the bottom and add to the top. However, I don't think that the model of the club allows that and that we will add players who can compete for the place rather than just be here to cover. Although we should not rest on our laurels, we just missed out last season having half the season with a depleted front line and half with no cover in midfield.

I trust the club when they sign the two Ethans and Ben House. Cracking business. Then developing players through the academy like Roughan, Draper and Mak the knife. However less trusting when we sign Smith, Robson and Brown! Someone once said Recruitment is 9/10's of the law.

I always think that you should trim off the bottom and add to the top. However, I don't think that the model of the club allows that and that we will add players who can compete for the place rather than just be here to cover. Although we should not rest on our laurels, we just missed out last season having half the season with a depleted front line and half with no cover in midfield.
I think the division will be much stronger next season with quite a few clubs throwing money at it, and if we want to compete in the top half we will need a stronger squad with more depth, quality and experience. We may need to sell a valuable asset to finance this strengthening.

Should perhaps mention for people wondering what he contributed that Danny M was 2nd top scorer I believe.

Should perhaps mention for people wondering what he contributed that Danny M was 2nd top scorer I believe.
Mostly from the spot (6/8?) and he missed an important one on what is probably his last game. A bit like the school report comment if only the rest were as good as his best. I think he is a weak link due to his inconsistency and erratic behaviour.

A facetious answer would be they both have the word 'and' in their surnames.

A sensible answer is that they both missed penalties in the last game of a season.
Correct - more than that, they missed penalties in their final game for Lincoln.

Danny slipped; Sanders was just inept.

Is always interesting how people have different perceptions of players and see games totally different from each other. Buy that's what makes this forum work or we would all be saying the same thing and it would be extremely boring.
In My honest opinion Mandriou has worked twice as hard under MS than any other Manager and been less selfish and more of a team player.
But this is football players come and go whether fans like it or not and I am more confident after last seasons pretty successful recrecruitment that we can recruit successfully this season.
I also think we have a Manager and coaching team that will want a certain type of player to play the sort of football we played towards the end of the season and their input will be vital.

Mandroiu caused his own issues by his reds against Burton and Bolton where we ended up losing but that aside, I feel a little sorry for him.

Last season he struggled with niggly injuries initially and it was a bit of a stop start season, he started this season in his favoured position but under Kennedy who couldn't coach an attack and then when we did get a manager who could do the latter, it was a system change, his position wasn't there anymore and then had to try and reinvent himself as a CM (due to the system change and other player availability).